Representative novels of the American tradition from the late eighteenth century to the present. Online access to Brigham Young University library services.
The novels required are usually available at a local library or bookstore.
ENGL 293 (American Literary History) & ENGL 295 (Writing Literary History); or ENGL 294 (Transatlantic Literary History) & ENGL 295 (Writing Literary Criticism); ENGL 291 (British Literary History 1). ENGL 292 (British Literary History 2) may also be a prerequisite option.
1. Representative roots of the American novel
2. The First American Novels
3. Catherine Maria Sedgwick, Hope Leslie
4. Unit 1 Examination
5. Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
6. Herman Melville, Benito Cereno
7. Rebecca Harding Davis, Life in the Iron-Mills
8. Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
9. Henry James, Washington Square
10. Unit 2 Examination
11. Edith Wharton, Ethan Frome
12. Willa Cather, My Ántonia
13. William Faulkner, Absalom, Absalom!
14. Conference Paper
15. Unit 3 Examination
16. Vladimir Nabokov, Pale Fire
17. Lydia Minatoya, The Strangeness of Beauty
18. Unit 4 Examination