This course is all about giving students the tools to become better readers and more appreciative of good books; this will help them understand the joy that comes from recreational reading. Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "'Tis the good reader that makes the good book." Students will learn reading strategies that will not only help them become better readers, but will also help students enjoy reading even more.
1. Setting and Leads: Entering the Story's World
2. Characterization and Point of View: Who are you and Why are you in my Story?
3. Conflict: What's the Problem Here?
4. Comprehension: Wait! What Do I Do If I Don't Get it?
5. Plot: What makes a Story Exciting?
6. Inferences: Gathering Clues from a Story
7. Theme: The Big Picture