A Guide for Students
- Select a course from the Course Catalog.
- Confirm with your counselor that your school will accept the course credit.
- Register for the course online, over the phone, or in person. Be sure to identify your school when registering.
- Access the course through our website using your BYU Net ID (username) and password. If you have not yet created a BYU Net ID and password, this is easily done on our website. Select “Login” at the top of the page and then “Create an Account.”
- Become familiar with our policies and deadlines outlined on our website and any unique policies and requirements listed in the course’s syllabus or polices. Being familiar with the expectations of BYU Independent Study will help you as you work through your course.
- Check to see if BYU Independent Study offers free tutoring in the course you have selected.
- Study, complete, and submit all course assignments. Choose a BYU Independent Study approved proctor in your area or have an educator apply to become one in your area to administer your required exams. We recommend that you select a proctor at your own school.
- Complete the course and receive your notice of course completion through the mail. (An official transcript can be requested if needed.)