BYU Independent Study’s High School Scholarship Program
What is the High School Scholarship Program?
Our new scholarship program benefits all middle and high school students. This scholarship program is now completely based on the student's financial need, academic achievement, and counselor recommendation. Only the high school counselor can recommend and apply for a student scholarship. We look forward to awarding more students with scholarships for online courses and providing our valued school counselors the ability to recommend students they feel are deserving.
What is the criteria to receive a scholarship?
A high school counselor may submit an application for a scholarship if a student has financial need or shows academic achievement. We know each student’s situation is unique, so tell us why you are recommending your student to receive a scholarship. Schools will need one previous enrollment with BYU Independent Study in the past year to be eligible to apply for a course scholarship for a student.
How does a counselor submit a scholarship application for a student?
The application process is designed to be simple and easy to understand. To make it even easier, the following are provided to help you in the process.
Information needed before filling out the application form:
- You must be a counselor registered with your school or organization. If you don't already have a "Net Id" (which is our term for an account), please create one. Go here to apply to become a registered counselor.
- The course title and version that the scholarship will be applied to. For a full list of courses, click here.
- Student Net ID: the student can create a BYU Net ID by selecting the blue login button at the top of this website.
- Associated with the same school: both the student and counselor Net IDs must be connected to the same school. To do this, enter your “Academic Institution” here.
- Student's full name
- Student's email address (to verify if it is correct)
- Student's GPA
- Student's financial need level
- Guidance counselor's recommendation
How to fill out the application form:
- The counselor will go to is.byu.edu, click "Login," and then click “Sign in with a BYU Net ID.”
- Click on the "Independent Study" tab at the top of the page
- Click on "School Counselor"
- Find the student who would like to apply for the scholarship and select them
- Click on the "Request Scholarship" tab
The review process is also simple. Once the application has been electronically submitted, it will be evaluated by a scholarship committee who reviews applications on a weekly basis. Both the counselor and student will receive an email notifying them of the scholarship decision and the amount awarded.
Will the scholarship cover the full cost of the course?
Our scholarship program is designed with the student’s best interest in mind. We have found that when there is a financial obligation associated with a course, students tend to not only complete the course, but they also put forth more effort, perform higher academically, and obtain more parental involvement. Guidance counselors can recommend scholarship amounts based on student circumstances. We suggest students pay a portion whenever possible.
How is this different from the Course Awards Program?
The course awards program is exclusively directed toward those students admitted into one of our Full-Time High School Programs (either the Standard, Advanced, or Adult Diploma). They can receive one free scholarship for every five courses they complete with a B or higher grade. For more information, click here. Note: students in our full-time programs are not eligible for our High School Scholarship Program.