Most BYU Independent Study courses allow you up to one year from the registration date to complete them.
- Your graduation deadline is sooner
- Your course syllabus indicates a shorter deadline
- Your school requires you to work within a semester, term, or quarter system
- Your scholarship or financial aid source may impose other deadlines
Our courses are comparable to a university, high school, or middle school semester-length course. They are aligned with the Carnegie Unit system. Most of the high school courses are ½ or 0.5 or a Carnegie Unit, which represents one-half (usually one semester) of a school year’s study in a particular subject. We encourage you to plan to complete your course in a realistic amount of time to get the maximum benefit without rushing through the material.
Once you have completed your coursework and exams, it may take up to three weeks before you receive a notice of course completion (due to mail and grading times).
All university course grades are posted on a Brigham Young University transcript. If you need your course grade to appear within a particular semester or term (to meet a financial aid or graduation deadline), we must receive all your completed coursework and exams (including retakes) by the following deadlines*:
- Fall 2018: November 29, 2018
- Winter 2019: April 3, 2019
- Spring 2019: May 30, 2019
- Summer 2019: July 25, 2019
*There are no exceptions to these deadlines.
One three-month course extension may be available for a $20 fee. This option is not available for all courses. If this restriction applies to your course, it will be noted in the course syllabus. No second extensions are available.