High School and Middle School Scholarships

Our Scholarship program can benefit all middle and high school students and is based on the student's financial need, academic achievement, and counselor recommendations.

Counselors or educators can apply for these scholarships for their students on our High School and Middle School Scholarships page.

University Scholarships

Scholarships are awarded every month to university students not enrolled at Brigham Young University. Applications must be received (not postmarked) before the first day of the month in which they should be considered. Interested students may download an application from our website. 

Apply for a University Scholarship Apply for the Mabel Brown Scholarship

Do not enroll in a course until you have a scholarship, as scholarships may not be applied to previous enrollments. Scholarship awards (or denials) will be sent by email by the end of each month. Once a scholarship is awarded, withdrawal from the course redeemed with a scholarship results in forfeiture of funds and no refund or voucher will be available.

Please email completed application and materials to:


Academic Scholarships

We offer a limited number of university course Academic Scholarships to outstanding students. Students must meet the following criteria to apply:

  • Show they have the ability to study independently
  • Have at least a B+ or 3.4 cumulative grade point average
  • Provide college or high school grades on a transcript for all schools attended since ninth grade
  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or tax resident OR
  • Be an international student residing outside of the U.S. or U.S. territories

Financial Need Scholarships

We offer a limited number of university course Financial Need Scholarships to outstanding students with financial need. Students must meet the following criteria to apply:

  • Show they have the ability to study independently
  • Be 21 years of age or older
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or tax resident OR
  • Be an international student residing outside of the U.S. or U.S. territories

Disability Scholarship

The Mabel Brown Scholarship is awarded to single students 18 years of age or older with a chronic physical impairment, disability, or medical condition, limitation, or illness who maintain a 2.7 GPA. The scholarship may be used for any BYU Independent Study course.

Other Key Criteria We Consider:

  • Show experience taking independent educational courses
  • Complete entire application with the required information
  • Write succinctly and clearly on your application

Common Reasons for Not Receiving Scholarships:

  • Not following directions properly to submit the application
  • Not submitting all parts of the application and transcripts to our office in time to meet the deadline
  • Not meeting the GPA requirements

Students are not eligible for scholarships if they are:

  • Enrolled as a day student at any university and receiving federal financial aid
  • Admitted to Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University–Idaho, or Brigham Young University–Hawaii, which offer federal financial aid to their students
  • Enrolled in the BYU Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) program, which offers financial aid to its students
  • A recipient of a BYU Independent Study Scholarship within the past year*

Reapplication Policy

Academic and Financial Aid Scholarship recipients are eligible to reapply one year after the previous scholarship's award date. This policy also applies to expired and unused scholarships that were awarded.

*Mabel Brown scholarship recipients are eligible to reapply after they have completed the awarded scholarship course. If the student has not completed their scholarship course, they may reapply once that course has expired

Financial Aid

BYU Independent Study does not give or accept Federal Financial Aid. However, you are encouraged to apply for one of our scholarships, which are awarded every month. 

BYU Independent Study delivers a flexible alternative for students by offering open enrollment, self-paced, year-long courses resulting in credit that can be transferred to many institutions. Because of this unique format, we are unable to declare full or part-time student enrollment status and attendance. As a result, we are unable to sign any of the following:

  • Consortium Agreements
  • Student Loan Deferment Forms
  • FAFSA Form
  • State Verification of Enrollment and Attendance Forms (including for driver’s license applications)
  • Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Non migrant Student Status
  • Social Security Administration Forms (requesting enrollment and class attendance information)
  • Any other form requiring declaration of part or full-time student enrollment status or attendance

Please use discretion when enrolling to confirm that our courses will fit your unique needs.

For questions regarding military or veterans educational services, please contact the Military Relations Coordinator at 801-422-7364 or veterans@byu.edu.